onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: Why Myanmar’s military ruler has welcomed Trump’s tariff warning letter
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
News

Why Myanmar’s military ruler has welcomed Trump’s tariff warning letter

Last updated: July 11, 2025 5:50 pm
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
4 Min Read
Why Myanmar’s military ruler has welcomed Trump’s tariff warning letter
SHARE

Yangon — Myanmar’s military leader lauded President Trump and asked him to lift sanctions, the ruling junta said Friday, after a tariff letter from the U.S. president that it has taken as Washington’s first public recognition of its rule. Min Aung Hlaing endorsed Mr. Trump’s false claim that the 2020 U.S. election was stolen, and thanked him for shutting down funding for U.S.-backed media outlets that have long provided independent coverage of conflict-wracked Myanmar.

The military ousted Aung San Suu Kyi’s elected civilian government in 2021, plunging the country, which is also known as Burma, into civil war. Suu Kyi has remained imprisoned since then.

The U.S. State Department sanctioned the junta chief and others for using “violence and terror to oppress” Burmese people and “denying them the ability to freely choose their own leaders.”

U.S. diplomats do not formally engage with the junta, but Mr. Trump sent a letter to Min Aung Hlaing by name on Monday telling him the U.S. would impose a 40% tariff from August 1, down from a threatened 44%. It was one of 20 similar letters sent to world leaders by Mr. Trump in recent days.

“It’s certainly the first public indication I’ve seen of U.S. acknowledgement of MAH and the junta,” said Richard Horsey of the International Crisis Group.

Any earlier private communications “would almost certainly not have been from Trump of course,” he told AFP.

Min Aung Hlaing seized the opportunity to respond with a multi-page letter released in both Burmese and English by the junta information team Friday.

In it, he expressed his “sincere appreciation” for Mr. Trump’s letter and praised the U.S. president’s “strong leadership in guiding your country toward national prosperity.”

He sought to justify the military’s seizure of power, saying: “Similar to the challenges you encountered during the 2020 election of the United States, Myanmar also experienced major electoral fraud and significant irregularities.”

Both Voice of America and Radio Free Asia — created by the United States with a mission to deliver news in countries without free media — have shut down their Burmese-language operations since the Trump administration cut their funding.

Min Aung Hlaing said he “sincerely appreciated” Mr. Trump’s move.

The junta is increasingly dependent on its allies China and Russia for economic and military support.

Russian President Vladimir Putin shakes hands with Myanmar's military chief Min Aung Hlaing during their meeting at the Grand Kremlin Palace in Moscow, March 4, 2025. / Credit: PAVEL BEDNYAKOV/POOL/AFP/Getty
Russian President Vladimir Putin shakes hands with Myanmar’s military chief Min Aung Hlaing during their meeting at the Grand Kremlin Palace in Moscow, March 4, 2025. / Credit: PAVEL BEDNYAKOV/POOL/AFP/Getty

Min Aung Hlaing asked Mr. Trump to “reconsider easing and lifting the economic sanctions imposed on Myanmar,” and sought a tariff of 10-20%.

He thanked Mr. Trump for the “encouraging invitation to continue participating in the extraordinary Economy of the United States, the Number One Market in the World.”

Mr. Trump’s punitive tariff letters have left many nations scrambling to secure last-minute deals with Washington before they come into force next month.

Udemy Is Powering Enterprise AI Transformation Through Skills

Trump heads to Texas to see deadly flood damage

Migrants hide from ICE agents after farm raid, clash with protesters

You Might Also Like

Canada rescinds Digital Services Tax after Trump cuts off U.S. trade talks

Five soldiers shot at Army base in Georgia, suspect apprehended

Trump administration considering moving U.S. Postal Service under Commerce Department

Trump sends mixed signals over the fate of the Department of Education | Donald Trump News

Comparing the House and Senate proposals for Trump’s sweeping policy bill

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article The Final Frontier of Foot Fetish: Clear Tabis The Final Frontier of Foot Fetish: Clear Tabis
Next Article Farmworker dies, hundreds arrested in immigration raid met by protesters Farmworker dies, hundreds arrested in immigration raid met by protesters

Latest News

Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Sports May 11, 2026
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Sports May 11, 2026
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
Sports May 11, 2026
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Sports May 11, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.