onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: Trump administration pauses some green card applications as part of aggressive vetting effort
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
News

Trump administration pauses some green card applications as part of aggressive vetting effort

Last updated: March 25, 2025 1:42 pm
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
5 Min Read
Trump administration pauses some green card applications as part of aggressive vetting effort
SHARE

Washington — The Trump administration has quietly paused the processing of green card applications filed by certain individuals, including approved refugees, as part of a broader effort to more aggressively vet immigrants, multiple sources familiar with the move told CBS News.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS, recently directed officials to suspend processing of requests for legal permanent residency submitted by immigrants granted refugee or asylum status, according to the sources, who requested anonymity to discuss an action that has not been publicly reported.

The move will, for the time being, place in legal limbo immigrants who were granted refuge in the U.S. because they proved they could be persecuted in their home countries.

Refugees are granted entry into the U.S. after an overseas and exhaustive process of security checks, medical screenings and interviews that typically takes years to complete. Asylees are foreigners in the U.S. who are granted protection by immigration judges or asylum officers. Both populations have to prove they could face persecution because of certain characteristics, such as their political views, race or religion.

The Trump administration has targeted both congressionally enacted programs, suspending the refugee process and closing the asylum system at the U.S.-Mexico border through executive orders that are currently facing federal court challenges.

In a statement, the Department of Homeland Security confirmed CBS News’ reporting, saying the green card processing pause is needed to comply with two executive actions issued by President Trump, including one that questioned immigration vetting procedures under the Biden administration.

“USCIS is placing a temporary pause on finalizing certain Adjustment of Status applications pending the completion of additional screening and vetting to identify potential fraud, public safety, or national security concerns, in alignment” with Mr. Trump’s executive actions, DHS said in the statement. “Adjustment of status” is the official name of the green card process.

In one of the presidential proclamations cited by officials, Mr. Trump instructed federal agencies to “vet and screen to the maximum degree possible all aliens who intend to be admitted, enter, or are already inside the United States.”

The other executive order cited by officials paved the way for the State Department to designate Mexican cartels and gangs like Tren de Aragua as foreign terrorist organizations. 

The pause on some green card applications is the latest action taken by the Trump administration to restrict, tighten and, in some cases, suspend legal immigration procedures on the basis of concerns about national security and fraud.

Last month, the administration, citing vetting and fraud concerns, paused all immigration applications filed by immigrants from Latin America and Ukraine who arrived in the U.S. under two Biden-era programs that relied on an authority known as humanitarian parole. The government did not announce that move publicly, but CBS News disclosed it on Feb. 19.

The administration said last week it would give over half a million migrants from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela who came to the U.S. under one of the programs 30 days to self-deport or face arrest and deportation. Trump officials have claimed the migrants were “loosely vetted” by the Biden administration and noted the program was plagued by fraud concerns.

Trump administration officials have also announced plans to more heavily scrutinize and review the social media accounts of immigrants applying for legal status, including U.S. citizenship, green cards and asylum. USCIS said the vetting of social media accounts is required for “the enhanced identity verification, vetting and national security screening.”

The agency has long reviewed the social media information of immigrants applying for certain immigration benefits, but the new plan would require those applicants to submit their social media accounts, or handles, to the government for review.

More

Camilo Montoya-Galvez

camilo-montoya-galvez-bio-2.jpg

Camilo Montoya-Galvez is the immigration reporter at CBS News. Based in Washington, he covers immigration policy and politics.

You Might Also Like

Canadian Prime Minister Carney to visit Mexico in September for talks with President Sheinbaum

From ‘fantastic’ to ‘spoiled’: How Japan’s trade effort to woo Trump backfired

Kwame Raoul Leads National Coalition to Protect Food Aid and Personal Data for Millions of SNAP Recipients

Whitmer told Trump in private that Michigan auto jobs depend on a tariff change of course

Copenhagen Erupts: 20,000 March to Slam Trump’s Greenland Grab as Europe Rallies Behind the Island

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Thomas Tuchel: England head coach ‘driving standards’ for the Three Lions after perfect start in first two matches | Football News Thomas Tuchel: England head coach ‘driving standards’ for the Three Lions after perfect start in first two matches | Football News
Next Article Forensic genetic genealogy helps identify North Carolina “John Doe” killed in 1986 Forensic genetic genealogy helps identify North Carolina “John Doe” killed in 1986

Latest News

Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Matt O’Riley Transfer Saga: Tottenham Joins Race with Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
The Bowen Chase: Why Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man Utd Are Circling West Ham’s Star Amid Relegation Fear
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Guardiola’s Succession Decree: Why Enzo Maresca is Manchester City’s Anointed Heir
Sports May 20, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.