onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: Togo’s opposition denounces new role of the country’s leader as a ‘constitutional coup’
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
News

Togo’s opposition denounces new role of the country’s leader as a ‘constitutional coup’

Last updated: May 4, 2025 8:00 pm
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
3 Min Read
Togo’s opposition denounces new role of the country’s leader as a ‘constitutional coup’
SHARE

LOME, Togo (AP) — A coalition of political parties and civil society groups in Togo vowed Monday to step up domestic and international pressure on President Faure Gnassingbe following his controversial appointment over the weekend as head of a powerful new executive body.

Opposition politicians in the West African country denounced the move as a “constitutional coup” that could signal further democratic backsliding in a region marred by military coups.

Gnassingbe, who has ruled since 2005 after the death of his father, on Saturday was given by lawmakers the powerful new title of President of the Council of Ministers. In this role, he has more power and can be re-elected indefinitely for 6-year terms by Parliament.

Two main opposition parties, the Democratic Forces for the Republic and the National Alliance for Change, called the move a “constitutional coup” in a joint statement on Sunday.

“This process is neither legal nor legitimate. It is the result of an institutional hold-up orchestrated by a desperate regime, which fears more than anything the freely expressed will of the people,” the statement said.

The opposition organized a rally in Lomé, the capital, on Sunday, but the turnout was modest.

Speaking to The Associated Press, Professor David Dosseh, spokesperson for the coalition, said the swearing-in of Gnassingbe as President of the Council of Ministers marks “a new phase in the seizure of power,” one that entrenches the president’s rule after 20 years in office.

Togo, a nation of around 8 million people, has been ruled by same family for 57 years, initially by Eyadema Gnassingbe and subsequently by his son. Faure Gnassingbe has been in office since 2005 after winning elections that the opposition described as a sham.

Last year, Gnassingbe signed off on a new constitution, which eliminates presidential elections and granted Parliament the power to choose the president.

“This is not a transition. It’s the continuity of the same authoritarian system under another name after 58 years of rule,” Dosseh said, referring to Gnassingbe’s new title.

A purely symbolic presidency has been created, now led by 86-year-old Jean-Lucien Savi de Tové, a figure largely unknown to the younger generation, while real power was handed to a Council led by Gnassingbe, without term limits.

The ruling party did not respond to a request for comment. Government media outlets have portrayed the constitutional reform as a modernizing step that prepares Togo for a parliamentary government.

You Might Also Like

Brazil’s Bolsonaro appeals house arrest order

NIH won’t renew ‘cruel’ drug experiments on beagle puppies — some as young as 8 months old

US military expected to announce two new zones where service members can detain migrants on southern border, officials say

The surprising casualties of Benjamin Netanyahu’s torrent of terror | Israel-Palestine conflict

Arizona Democrats oust embattled chair amid party turmoil

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article This Rare See-Through Squid Is Blinking for a Reason This Rare See-Through Squid Is Blinking for a Reason
Next Article IBM CEO makes play for AI market and more US investment IBM CEO makes play for AI market and more US investment

Latest News

Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Matt O’Riley Transfer Saga: Tottenham Joins Race with Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
The Bowen Chase: Why Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man Utd Are Circling West Ham’s Star Amid Relegation Fear
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Guardiola’s Succession Decree: Why Enzo Maresca is Manchester City’s Anointed Heir
Sports May 20, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.