onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: Rwanda-backed rebel group M23 denies role in Congo massacres
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
News

Rwanda-backed rebel group M23 denies role in Congo massacres

Last updated: August 21, 2025 6:40 am
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
3 Min Read
Rwanda-backed rebel group M23 denies role in Congo massacres
SHARE

DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — The Rwanda-backed rebel group M23 has denied involvement in a series of massacres in eastern Congo which were detailed in a report published by a rights group Wednesday.

Lawrence Kanyuka, spokesperson for the M23 military, called the Human Rights Watch report “fake and a falsification of reality” and accused the group of spreading “extremist propaganda” in a statement late Wednesday.

M23 is the most prominent of more than 100 armed groups fighting for control in Congo’s mineral-rich east.

Both M23 and the Congolese military have previously been accused of violence against civilians. Earlier this year, Congolese authorities accused M23 of extrajudicial killings during its seizure of major cities.

In the report, Human Rights Watch accused M23 of killing over 140 civilians as part of a military campaign against the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), an armed group made up mostly of ethnic Hutu fighters.

Nearly 2 million Hutus from Rwanda fled to Congo after the 1994 Rwandan genocide that killed 800,000 Tutsis, moderate Hutus and others. Rwandan authorities have accused Hutus who fled of participating in the genocide, alleging that the Congolese army protected them.

Bertrand Bisimwa, an M23 leader, said on social platform X that the report was intended to influence the United Nations Security Council and was not based on evidence.

A separate report by another rights group, Amnesty International, also published Wednesday, found that both M23 and Congolese government-sponsored militias regularly committed mass atrocities and sexual violence against civilians.

With 7 million people displaced in Congo, the U.N. has called the conflict in eastern Congo “one of the most protracted, complex, serious humanitarian crises on Earth.”

The United States and others have been trying to achieve a permanent ceasefire since fighting between M23 and Congolese forces escalated in January.

The Congolese and Rwandan foreign ministers signed a peace deal at the White House in July. But M23 was not directly involved in the negotiations and said it could not abide by the terms of the agreement.

The final step was meant to be a separate deal between Congo and M23, facilitated by the Gulf state of Qatar, that would bring about a permanent ceasefire. However, a deadline for the deal was missed and there have been no public signs of major talks between Congo and M23 on the final terms.

The U.S. Bureau of African affairs, in a statement late Wednesday on X, called for an emergency meeting of the U.N. Security Council to discuss the “horrific abuses perpetrated against civilians, including by M23.”

You Might Also Like

Universities sue over National Science Foundation funding cuts

US Marines have moved into Los Angeles, will protect federal building, official says

NYC Mayor Zohran Mamdani Defends Sanctuary Status Amid ICE Controversy

Zohran Mamdani Defends Taxing ‘Whiter Neighborhoods’ At Higher Rates, Says It Isn’t ‘Driven By Race’

UK’s Farage unveils plan to deport asylum seekers, warns of ‘civil disorder’

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Asus ROG Pelta Gaming Headset Review – An Easy Mid-Range Recommendation Asus ROG Pelta Gaming Headset Review – An Easy Mid-Range Recommendation
Next Article Jerry Jones said WHAT about Micah’s agent? Shedeur is BACK + Biggest NFL Bets & Storylines To Watch! Jerry Jones said WHAT about Micah’s agent? Shedeur is BACK + Biggest NFL Bets & Storylines To Watch!

Latest News

Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Sports May 11, 2026
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Sports May 11, 2026
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
Sports May 11, 2026
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Sports May 11, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.