onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: Magnus Carlsen held to draw by 143,000 opponents in largest ever online chess game after 46 days of competing
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
Sports

Magnus Carlsen held to draw by 143,000 opponents in largest ever online chess game after 46 days of competing

Last updated: May 20, 2025 8:00 pm
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
3 Min Read
Magnus Carlsen held to draw by 143,000 opponents in largest ever online chess game after 46 days of competing
SHARE

Magnus Carlsen is vastly successful against just one opponent. And even when he came up against many more, the Norwegian showed he can hold his own.

The five-time world chess champion was competing in the ‘Magnus vs. The World’ competition – an online chess match which allowed the public to test themselves against arguably the greatest player of all time.

And after 46 days competing, the contest – the largest online chess game ever held, according to Chess.com – ended in a draw after 32 moves when the public forced a threefold repetition in a queen endgame to earn a half-point for either side.

“Overall, the World has played very, very sound chess,” Carlsen told Chess.com as the game came to a close. “Kind of from the start, maybe not going for the most enterprising options, but keeping it in the vein of normal chess. It’s not always the best strategy, but it seemed like it worked fine this time.”

The format meant that each side had 24 hours to make a move. After Carlsen made his opening gambit, Team World voted on what it would do next.

The public was aided in its endeavor by a panel of five coaches, including WGM Dina Belenkaya, NM Dane Mattson, IM David “Divis” Martinez, IM David Pruess and GM Benjamin Bok.

The event shattered the records for participation in a online chess game, passing the previous record of 70,000 set for the ‘Vishy vs. The World’ last year.

When ‘Magnus vs. The World’ began on April 4, 100,000 had signed up with that number rising to 143,000 over the course of the game. According to Chess.com, there were 508,000 votes cast and more than 30,000 forum comments posted over the six weeks of competition.

“I’m thrilled to see the incredible reception and enthusiasm from the community,” Sam Copeland, Chess.com’s head of community, said afterwards.

“This was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for players of all levels to suggest, discuss, and debate their chess ideas in competition with the greatest chess player of all time. The coordination and collaboration among the players were impressive, and we are deeply grateful to Magnus for his participation in the match.”

For more CNN news and newsletters create an account at CNN.com

You Might Also Like

Virat Kohli touches feet of childhood coach in heartwarming moment after half-century in DC vs RCB IPL 2025 clash [Watch]

Why the Chargers’ Low-Risk Move for Dalvin Tomlinson Could Be a Masterstroke for Their Defensive Line

Atlanta’s NWSL Arrival: Inside the $165 Million Bet and What It Means for Women’s Soccer

United Kingdom’s Unbuilt Stadiums Set to Transform 2035 Women’s World Cup – Why This Bid Redefines the Global Game

How to find Pawn Shop in Schedule 1

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Can You Really Build Muscle in a Calorie Deficit? Experts Explain Can You Really Build Muscle in a Calorie Deficit? Experts Explain
Next Article Police reform activists pledge to carry on after Trump drops oversight Police reform activists pledge to carry on after Trump drops oversight

Latest News

Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Matt O’Riley Transfer Saga: Tottenham Joins Race with Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
The Bowen Chase: Why Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man Utd Are Circling West Ham’s Star Amid Relegation Fear
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Guardiola’s Succession Decree: Why Enzo Maresca is Manchester City’s Anointed Heir
Sports May 20, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.