onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: China lifts a nearly 2-year ban on seafood from Japan over Fukushima wastewater
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
News

China lifts a nearly 2-year ban on seafood from Japan over Fukushima wastewater

Last updated: June 30, 2025 7:15 am
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
4 Min Read
China lifts a nearly 2-year ban on seafood from Japan over Fukushima wastewater
SHARE

BEIJING (AP) — China has reopened its market to seafood from Japan after a nearly two-year ban over the discharge of slightly radioactive wastewater from the tsunami-destroyed Fukushima nuclear power plant.

A notice from the customs agency said the ban had been lifted Sunday and that imports from much of Japan would be resumed.

The ban, imposed in August 2023, was a major blow to Japan’s scallop and sea cucumber exporters. China was the biggest overseas market for Japanese seafood. The decision to lift the ban coincides with efforts by China and Japan to improve ties as both face economic uncertainty because of the American tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.

“This is a major turning point for Japan, which sees seafood as an important source of exports,” said Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Shinjiro Koizumi, the son of former Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi.

The nuclear plant at Fukushima was heavily damaged by a deadly tsunami that followed a huge offshore earthquake in 2011. Water still must be pumped in to cool the radioactive fuel. The water is then stored in what was an ever-growing complex of tanks on the property.

After years of debate, the utility won Japanese government permission to discharge the water gradually into the sea after treating it to remove most of the radioactive elements and diluting it with seawater. Japanese officials said the wastewater would be safer than international standards and have negligible environmental impact.

China disagreed and imposed a ban, saying the discharge would endanger the fishing industry and coastal communities on its east coast.

Over months of talks, Japan agreed to let China take samples of the water for testing. The sampling has not found any abnormalities, the customs agency notice said

China still opposes the wastewater discharge, but based on scientific evidence and analysis, it is allowing imports on a conditional basis from parts of Japan that meet China’s standards, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning said.

A ban remains in place for seafood from 10 of Japan’s 47 prefectures, including Fukushima and nearby ones.

Japanese seafood exporters will have to reapply for registration in China and all imports will have to include a health certificate, a certificate of compliance for radioactive substance testing and a certificate of origin, the Chinese customs agency said.

Shipments to China are expected to resume gradually, Japanese government spokesperson Kazuhiko Aoki told reporters in Tokyo on Monday, noting the re-registration requirement.

He said it was unclear how quickly scallop and sea cucumber exporters would return to China, because they had sought out other markets since the ban. But he predicted sales of sea cucumbers, a prized delicacy in China, would recover to a certain degree.

Aoki said the Japanese government would continue to press for the lifting of the export ban on the other 10 prefectures.

You Might Also Like

House Democrat: Trump trade truce with China ‘just a charade’

Venezuelan immigrants sue Trump over order to invoke wartime Alien Enemies Act of 1798

FDA Set to Lift Ban on Injectable Peptides, Empowering Compounding Pharmacies

Beyond the Hype: Deconstructing Amazon and Anthropic’s Transformative AI Infrastructure Partnership

Wiles expects Trump to keep all Cabinet secretaries through first year

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Kendall Jenner Goes Pantsless in a Blue Blazer Dress and Sheer Hood in Venice Kendall Jenner Goes Pantsless in a Blue Blazer Dress and Sheer Hood in Venice
Next Article USAID cuts may cause over 14 million additional deaths by 2030, study says USAID cuts may cause over 14 million additional deaths by 2030, study says

Latest News

Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Matt O’Riley Transfer Saga: Tottenham Joins Race with Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
The Bowen Chase: Why Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man Utd Are Circling West Ham’s Star Amid Relegation Fear
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Guardiola’s Succession Decree: Why Enzo Maresca is Manchester City’s Anointed Heir
Sports May 20, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.