onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: Appeals court revives Native American challenge to $10B SunZia energy transmission project
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
News

Appeals court revives Native American challenge to $10B SunZia energy transmission project

Last updated: May 29, 2025 4:59 pm
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
4 Min Read
Appeals court revives Native American challenge to B SunZia energy transmission project
SHARE

A federal appeals court has sided with Native American tribes in their fight against the federal government over a $10 billion energy transmission line designed to carry wind-generated electricity from New Mexico to customers as far away as California.

The Tohono O’odham Nation — along with the San Carlos Apache Tribe, the Center for Biological Diversity and Archaeology Southwest — sued the U.S. Interior Department and then-Interior Secretary Deb Haaland in 2024. They argued that the agency failed to properly consult with the tribes on a historic property designation for southern Arizona’s San Pedro Valley.

A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday that a lower court erred in dismissing the case last year and ordered the matter to be reconsidered.

The panel concluded that a proper consultation would have resulted in the valley being designated as a historic property and that the agency was required to identify historic properties that would be affected and ensure any adverse effects would be avoided, minimized or mitigated before authorizing construction.

The Tohono O’odham Nation had vowed when the case was dismissed to pursue all legal avenues for protecting land that it and other tribes consider sacred. Tribal Chairman Verlon Jose reiterated that the tribe will continue to fight for its rights and that Tuesday’s ruling marked an important victory in the long-running dispute.

“The Tohono O’odham Nation supports clean, renewable energy — when it is done the right way,” Jose said in a statement. “With the SunZia project, the federal government failed to work with tribes to protect our cultural resources as required by law.”

The valley represents a 50-mile (80-kilometer) stretch of the planned 550-mile (885-kilometer) conduit. The route is expected to carry electricity from wind farms in central New Mexico to existing transmission lines in Arizona to serve populated areas as far away as California. The project was among those touted as an important part of former President Joe Biden’s goal for a carbon pollution-free power sector by 2035.

Construction in the San Pedro Valley already is complete, said Matt Dallas, a SunZia spokesperson.

“We are reviewing the opinion, and SunZia remains on track for commercial operation in 2026.” Dallas said.

In response to questions about the latest ruling and whether the federal government was in discussions with the tribes, Interior spokeswoman J. Elizabeth Peace said the department doesn’t comment on pending litigation.

Peace did say the agency “remains committed to stewarding our natural and cultural resources, honoring tribal trust responsibilities and managing public lands for all Americans.”

President Donald Trump in recent weeks has signed a number of executive orders promoting domestic energy production and has cited the need for reliability of the nation’s electric grid amid growing demand driven partly by data centers and artificial intelligence.

You Might Also Like

Britain to pay nearly $4 million in compensation after troops sparked huge forest fire while training in Kenya

Fed’s Daly says inflation her main focus right now

The Unraveling Value of the Four-Year College Degree: Why Americans Are Turning Away from Higher Education

Cuomo attacks Mamdani over rent-controlled NYC apartment

Verdict Is In: Biden’s Billions Only Enough To Build Measly Number Of EV Chargers

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article White Sneakers Go With Everything, But Especially These 15 Crisp and Cool Summer Outfits White Sneakers Go With Everything, But Especially These 15 Crisp and Cool Summer Outfits
Next Article US and allies accuse North Korea and Russia of flagrantly violating UN sanctions in military deals US and allies accuse North Korea and Russia of flagrantly violating UN sanctions in military deals

Latest News

Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Sports May 11, 2026
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Sports May 11, 2026
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
Sports May 11, 2026
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Sports May 11, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.