onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: Russian divers found dead, one in the jaws of a shark, near popular Philippines resort
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
News

Russian divers found dead, one in the jaws of a shark, near popular Philippines resort

Last updated: February 28, 2025 6:55 am
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
4 Min Read
Russian divers found dead, one in the jaws of a shark, near popular Philippines resort
SHARE

Two Russian divers were found dead, one in the jaws of a shark, after a strong current separated them from their group in a popular Philippine scuba spot, a coast guard official said Friday.

Four Russians — 57-year-old Eduart Perigudin, his two sons Timofy and Ilya, aged 18 and 29, and another man — were diving near the Batangas resort area on the main island of Luzon Thursday afternoon when they and their dive master were pulled apart by an underwater current, district coast guard chief Airland Lapitan told AFP.

Ilya Perigudin was missing both arms when he was pulled dead from waters in which multiple sharks were seen, according to a coast guard statement.

“His remains were found floating near the shoreline… with both arms missing due to an apparent shark attack. Multiple sharks were observed in the vicinity during the recovery,” the statement said.

Philippines Shark Attack
In this photo provided by Philippine Coast Guard Batangas, rescuers recover the bodies of two Russian scuba divers at Verde Island, Batangas city, Philippines on Thursday Feb. 27, 2025. 

/ AP


Lapitan had earlier told AFP the 29-year-old “was being pulled by a shark” when rescuers located him in the late afternoon.

But it was unclear if he had been killed by a shark or was already dead, Lapitan said, adding that the bodies had been turned over to family members without an autopsy.

The second victim, identified as M. Melekhov by Moscow’s TASS news agency citing the Russian embassy, was found about an hour earlier and declared dead on arrival after being transported to a local hospital.

Eduart Perigudin, his younger son Timofy and their dive master were able to surface and make it back to the boat, Lapitan said.

The Russian embassy did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

After the incident, the Philippines coast guard said in a statement that divers and dive operators should “exercise heightened vigilance and adhere to strict safety protocols, particularly in areas with strong currents and active marine life.”

In this photo provided by Philippine Coast Guard Batangas, rescuers search for two Russian scuba divers at Verde Island, Batangas city, Philippines on Thursday Feb. 27, 2025. 

/ AP


Shark attacks in the waters around the Philippines are exceedingly rare, with none recorded in at least a year, according to a global database.

Shark attacks — particularly deadly ones — dropped substantially last year around the world, according to a recent report by the International Shark Attack File,

Of 88 alleged shark-human interactions that researchers say they investigated last year, 71 bites were confirmed. The report segmented those incidents into unprovoked and provokes bites, of which there were 47 and 24, respectively. Seven of the attacks were fatal, including four unprovoked attacks, according to the research.

More from CBS News

You Might Also Like

Labor Market Stalls as 2025 Job Creation Crashes 71%: Why the Fed’s Next Move Hangs on This Week’s Inflation Data

Texas Ignites Major Pharma Battle: Tylenol, Autism, and the Deceptive Marketing Claims Rocking the Medical World

Michelle Obama says Barack Obama divorce rumor reactions are like ‘the apocalypse’

Black suit and diplomacy: Zelenskyy dressed to impress in Oval Office do-over

Feds elevate Minnesota Title IX investigations to a ‘Special Investigations Team’

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Trump signals U.S., U.K. could reach ‘real trade deal’ without tariffs Trump signals U.S., U.K. could reach ‘real trade deal’ without tariffs
Next Article Anthropic’s C.E.O., Dario Amodei, on Surviving the A.I. Endgame Anthropic’s C.E.O., Dario Amodei, on Surviving the A.I. Endgame

Latest News

Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Sports May 11, 2026
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Sports May 11, 2026
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
Sports May 11, 2026
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Sports May 11, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.