onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: Federal judge temporarily halts Trump admin’s mass layoff plans
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
News

Federal judge temporarily halts Trump admin’s mass layoff plans

Last updated: May 9, 2025 8:00 pm
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
3 Min Read
Federal judge temporarily halts Trump admin’s mass layoff plans
SHARE

A federal judge issued a ruling Friday ordering a temporary pause in the Trump administration’s plan to slash various agencies and fire tens of thousands of federal workers.

U.S. District Judge Susan Illston of California issued a two-week pause, arguing that while the president can institute changes to federal agencies and conduct mass layoffs, he has to perform them in “lawful ways.”

“The President has the authority to seek changes to executive branch agencies, but he must do so in lawful ways and, in the case of large-scale reorganizations, with the cooperation of the legislative branch. Many presidents have sought this cooperation before; many iterations of Congress have provided it,” Illston said in a 42-page order.

“Nothing prevents the President from requesting this cooperation—as he did in his prior term of office. Indeed, the Court holds the President likely must request Congressional cooperation to order the changes he seeks, and thus issues a temporary restraining order to pause large-scale reductions in force in the meantime,” the federal judge said Friday.

The judge’s restraining order will last until May 23, during which period new reduction-in-force notifications from the Office of Management and Budget and the Office of Personnel Management will not go into effect.

The ruling comes in response to a lawsuit filed last month by various labor unions, cities, nonprofits and counties, marking one of the biggest challenges to Trump’s executive actions yet. The plaintiffs contended that the president does not have the authority to retool the federal government without the green light of Congress.

A number of agencies are covered under the Friday order, including the Department of Labor, Energy, Commerce, Veterans Affairs, Health and Human Services, and others.

Tens of thousands of federal workers have been fired, and several federal agencies have seen dramatic reductions or been shuttered in recent months. Trump, with the help of Elon Musk and his Department of Government Efficiency, has worked to shrink the federal government in his second term, sparking legal action.

In response to recent lawsuits, several judges have ordered pauses in the Trump administration’s sweeping efforts.

Copyright 2025 Nexstar Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to The Hill.

You Might Also Like

Brazil challenges legitimacy of US trade probe, urges dialogue

At least five killed in RSF shelling in Sudan’s Khartoum: Lawyers’ group | Sudan war News

Judge blocks Trump birthright citizenship order after Supreme Court ruling

Increased military spending will make Brits richer – Starmer

Jakarta’s Garbage Mountain Collapses: Seven Dead as Rescue Ends at Indonesia’s Largest Landfill

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Valentino and Terraforma Present L’Atelier Sonore Valentino and Terraforma Present L’Atelier Sonore
Next Article Israel capitalises as Gaza fatigue sets in | TV Shows Israel capitalises as Gaza fatigue sets in | TV Shows

Latest News

Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Sports May 11, 2026
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Sports May 11, 2026
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
Sports May 11, 2026
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Sports May 11, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.