onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: WATCH: Officials discuss potential solutions as teen ‘gatherings’ continue in Chicago
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
News

WATCH: Officials discuss potential solutions as teen ‘gatherings’ continue in Chicago

Last updated: May 5, 2025 8:00 pm
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
3 Min Read
WATCH: Officials discuss potential solutions as teen ‘gatherings’ continue in Chicago
SHARE

(The Center Square) – Chicago officials are trying to get a handle on large teen gatherings, some of which have turned violent.

Groups blocked two major intersections on the West and Southwest Sides of the city last weekend. Two people were injured in downtown shootings during teen takeovers in March.

Mayor Brandon Johnson met with concerned Streeterville residents.

“You know, I didn’t hear anything that I hadn’t heard already. People are committed to working together. They appreciated my presentation and we learned from one another,” Johnson said.

The Chicago City Council Committee on Public Safety is scheduled to meet Wednesday morning, and the full council has a meeting scheduled Wednesday afternoon.

Alderman Brian Hopkins proposed teen curfew measures, including a proposal that would allow the city’s police superintendent to impose a curfew at any hour or location in the city.

The mayor said the ultimate goal is to prevent violent events.

“There has to remain a level of accountability, which our superintendent is committed to that, but even with the curfew violations, we’ve seen them go down dramatically over the last several years,” Johnson said.

Last month, Johnson said the proposal was an improvement over Hopkins’ earlier plan to impose an earlier teen curfew in the Streeterville neighborhood. At a media briefing on Tuesday, the mayor addressed concerns about the city imposing curfews without just cause.

“Look, I’ve said from the very beginning, the constitutionality around this discussion is something that I have expressed my trepidation,” Johnson said.

Deputy Mayor of Public Safety Garien Gatewood said city officials do a lot to keep violent teen gatherings from happening.

“If we’ve seen some of the same folks who have hosted these and they have led to violence, we need to do whatever we can to get in front of it to stop violence from happening. Our goal is always to be proactive, protect people and be proactive,” Gatewood said.

After a video surfaced of teens blocking a West Side intersection last weekend, Chicago Alderman Raymond Lopez was asked for a solution on X.

“Corral them with larger assets like garbage trucks, impound the vehicles, arrest participants. Repeat as necessary,” Lopez answered with a post on X.

You Might Also Like

The Federal Shutdown: A Definitive Guide to Shifting Public Blame and the Battle Over Healthcare Subsidies

USDA cancels $1 billion in funding for schools and food banks to buy food from local suppliers

Trump DHS Lists More Criminal Illegals It Nabbed In LA Raids

Beyond Shackles: Unpacking the Inhumane Reality of ICE’s Full-Body WRAP Restraints in Deportations

US appeals court won’t reconsider Trump’s $5 million loss to E. Jean Carroll

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Kylie Jenner Walks 2025 Met Gala Red Carpet Solo, Attends Without Timothee Chalamet Kylie Jenner Walks 2025 Met Gala Red Carpet Solo, Attends Without Timothee Chalamet
Next Article AP PHOTOS: How bitter wartime enemies France and Germany built a friendship that underpins the EU AP PHOTOS: How bitter wartime enemies France and Germany built a friendship that underpins the EU

Latest News

Florida Gators’ Historic Playoff Push: Why 2026 Is Different
Florida Gators’ Historic Playoff Push: Why 2026 Is Different
Sports May 22, 2026
Moyes Confronts Garner’s England Omission and Everton’s Murky Season Ambitions
Moyes Confronts Garner’s England Omission and Everton’s Murky Season Ambitions
Sports May 22, 2026
From Hater to Heartbroken: Carson Hocevar’s Poignant Farewell to NASCAR Legend Kyle Busch
From Hater to Heartbroken: Carson Hocevar’s Poignant Farewell to NASCAR Legend Kyle Busch
Sports May 22, 2026
Guardiola’s Goodbye: Decoding the Emotional Legacy in His Final Manchester City Letter
Guardiola’s Goodbye: Decoding the Emotional Legacy in His Final Manchester City Letter
Sports May 22, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.