onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: China says there are no negotiations with the Trump administration over tariffs
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
News

China says there are no negotiations with the Trump administration over tariffs

Last updated: April 24, 2025 8:52 am
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
4 Min Read
China says there are no negotiations with the Trump administration over tariffs
SHARE

China on Thursday denied U.S. President Donald Trump’s assertion that the two sides were involved in active negotiations over tariffs, and said the U.S. should revoke its unilateral tariffs against the nation. 

China’s pushback on tariffs, with U.S. import duties now standing as high as 145% on China-made products, comes after Mr. Trump said Tuesday that the final tariff rate on China’s goods would come down “substantially.” But Beijing on Thursday said that any suggestion of progress in this matter was as groundless as “trying to catch the wind.”

The trade war between China and the U.S. has escalated during the past few weeks, with each nation hiking its import duties multiple times in a tit-for-tat. But the Trump administration this week has provided some signs that they are interested in a trade pact, with Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Wednesday saying the Trump administration has an “opportunity for a big deal” on trade between the U.S. and China.

And Mr. Trump had told reporters earlier in the week that “everything’s active” when asked if he was engaging with China, although Bessent had said there were no formal negotiations.

“China’s position is consistent and we are open to consultations and dialogues, but any form of consultations and negotiations must be conducted on the basis of mutual respect and in an equal manner,” said Ministry of Commerce spokesman He Yadong. “Any claims about the progress of China-U.S. trade negotiations are groundless as trying to catch the wind and have no factual basis.”

Trump had put 145% tariffs on imports from China, while China hit back with 125% tariffs on U.S. products. While Trump has given other countries a 90-day pause on the tariffs, as their leaders pledged to negotiate with the U.S., China remained the exception. 



Trump says he’ll reduce tariffs against China “substantially”

03:37

Instead, Beijing raised its own tariffs and deployed other economic measures in response while vowing to “fight to the end.” For example, China restricted exports of rare earth minerals and raised multiple cases against the U.S. at the World Trade Organization.

China also made it clear that talks should involve the cancellation of all tariffs it currently faces.

“The unilateral tariff increase measures were initiated by the United States. If the United States really wants to solve the problem, it should face up to the rational voices of the international community and all parties at home, completely cancel all unilateral tariff measures against China, and find ways to resolve differences through equal dialogue,” said He, the spokesman.

Despite the economic measures leveled against China, Trump said Tuesday that he would be “very nice” and not play hardball with Chinese President Xi Jinping.

“We’re going to live together very happily and ideally work together,” Trump said.

You Might Also Like

Philippines Landfill Collapse: Rescuers Detect Signs of Life Amid Deadly Garbage Avalanche

Teacher hired in Arkansas charged in Devil’s Den park killing of couple that was hiking with kids

Hakeem Jeffries Breaks Record For Longest House Speech

‘Flawless’ host Switzerland glides past EU for next US trade deal, Trump aides say

Ex-Texas US Rep. Blake Farenthold, who left office amid harassment allegations, dies at 63

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Roman Reigns’ WWE story following WrestleMania confirmed as Bloodline era comes to an end Roman Reigns’ WWE story following WrestleMania confirmed as Bloodline era comes to an end
Next Article Liam Smith targets Chris Eubank Jr trilogy fight to settle rivalry after Aaron McKenna fight | Boxing News Liam Smith targets Chris Eubank Jr trilogy fight to settle rivalry after Aaron McKenna fight | Boxing News

Latest News

Arsenal Ends 22-Year Drought: Ian Wright’s Emotional Celebration Signals a New Era
Arsenal Ends 22-Year Drought: Ian Wright’s Emotional Celebration Signals a New Era
Sports May 20, 2026
Jai Arrow’s Career Ends Abruptly: NRL Star Retires After Motor Neurone Disease Diagnosis
Jai Arrow’s Career Ends Abruptly: NRL Star Retires After Motor Neurone Disease Diagnosis
Sports May 20, 2026
LeBron James Free Agency 2026: The Contender Rush and Why Los Angeles Still Holds the Key
LeBron James Free Agency 2026: The Contender Rush and Why Los Angeles Still Holds the Key
Sports May 20, 2026
Higgo’s Costly Tardiness: How a Two-Stroke Penalty Sparked a Caddie Split and Exposed a Champion’s Fragility
Higgo’s Costly Tardiness: How a Two-Stroke Penalty Sparked a Caddie Split and Exposed a Champion’s Fragility
Sports May 20, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.