onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: New Jersey wildfire only 10% contained in Ocean County, as thousands forced to evacuate
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
News

New Jersey wildfire only 10% contained in Ocean County, as thousands forced to evacuate

Last updated: April 23, 2025 7:42 am
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
3 Min Read
New Jersey wildfire only 10% contained in Ocean County, as thousands forced to evacuate
SHARE

Contents
NJ wildfire forces mandatory evacuation for thousandsMore from CBS News

A wildfire in Ocean County, New Jersey is burning across thousands of acres, forcing mandatory evacuations overnight in Ocean and Lacey townships. 

As of 6:30 a.m. Wednesday, the Ocean Township Police Department said all evacuation orders had been lifted for Brookville and homes west of the Garden State Parkway over to Route 9. At last check in Lacey Township, many neighborhoods were still under the evacuation order, including Pheasant Run.

The Garden State Parkway reopened Wednesday morning between Barnegat and Lacey roads, and Route 9 is back open from Lakeside Drive to CR 532. 

The New Jersey Forest Fire Service said the wildfire started around 10 a.m. Tuesday in the Greenwood Forest Wildlife Management Area in Barnegat Township.

The massive, rapidly growing wildfire forced the evacuation of 3,000 residents and shut down several major roads, including a swath of the Garden State Parkway between exits 63 and 74. 

Officials said the fire surged to 8,500 acres and cut off power to thousands. As of now, it’s only 10% contained, and more than 1,300 structures are under threat.

So far, no injuries have been reported.

NJ wildfire forces mandatory evacuation for thousands

Cellphone video showed huge plumes of smoke obscuring the sky by Tuesday afternoon. Chopper video captured a wall of flames consume the Pine Barrens near Route 9, fully engulfing a structure at one point. 

Those in the evacuation zone were busy packing, nervous after seeing images of other structures in town burn down.

“Lots of smoke in the air. You could really smell and taste the smoke and the fire in the air. It was definitely very strong, very prevalent,” resident Andrew Fellin said. “Right after the police showed up, told us that it was a mandatory evacuation, that’s when our power went out in our house, and that’s when we’re like, OK we need to get out of here. So I’d say a little scary, a little chaotic, just overall shocked.”

The Red Cross set up shelters at Southern Regional High School in Manahawkin and Manchester Township High School in Manchester.    

As of late Tuesday night, Jersey Central Power & Light cut power to about 25,000 homes and businesses in the area to protect firefighters battling the flames. 

Fire engines, bulldozers and ground crews have all been deployed to establish containment lines. Fire officials say they’re also conducting backfiring operations to burn fuel ahead of the main body of fire.  

Officials plan to hold their next briefing on the status of the fire at 11 a.m. Wednesday. 

More from CBS News

Christina Fan

0035-christina-fan-circle-button-1000x1000.png

Christina Fan joined CBS News New York as a general assignment reporter in spring of 2019.

You Might Also Like

Trump’s approval on immigration slips despite maintaining strong overall support: new poll

NYPD, other city agencies crack down on trash, drug-infested ‘Broadway of The Bronx’: ‘Going to be our ground zero’

Democrats’ ICE Rebellion Threatens Homeland Security Funding as Shutdown Clock Ticks

Sonya Massey’s family reaches $10 million settlement with Sangamon County over fatal shooting

Trump’s Gold Coin: A Symbolic Power Grab or Patriotic Celebration?

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article US judge blocks Trump’s Voice of America funding cut US judge blocks Trump’s Voice of America funding cut
Next Article What do crypto experts think about 72 crypto-related ETFs awaiting SEC approval? What do crypto experts think about 72 crypto-related ETFs awaiting SEC approval?

Latest News

Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Sports May 11, 2026
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Sports May 11, 2026
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
Sports May 11, 2026
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Sports May 11, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.