onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: Tesla ordered to pay $200 million in punitive damages over fatal crash
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
Finance

Tesla ordered to pay $200 million in punitive damages over fatal crash

Last updated: August 1, 2025 5:34 pm
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
3 Min Read
Tesla ordered to pay 0 million in punitive damages over fatal crash
SHARE

Tesla was found partly liable in a wrongful death case involving the electric vehicle company’s Autopilot system, with a jury awarding the plaintiffs $200 million in punitive damages plus additional money in compensatory damages.

The case, which took place in a Miami courtroom over the last couple of weeks, centered on whether defects in Tesla’s self-driving technology ultimately contributed to the death of 22-year-old Naibel Benavides Leon in 2019.

Along with the $200 million in punitive damages, Tesla was also ordered to pay around $43 million in compensatory damages directly to the plaintiffs.

Leon was killed when a man driving a Model S Tesla equipped with Tesla’s Autopilot technology plowed through a T-shaped intersection and struck her and her boyfriend Dillon Angulo. Angulo survived but was gravely injured.

The federal jury held that Tesla bore significant responsibility in the incident and that George McGee, the Florida driver who lost sight of the road when he dropped his phone, was not entirely to blame.

“Today’s verdict represents justice for Naibel’s tragic death and Dillon’s lifelong injuries, holding Tesla and Musk accountable for propping up the company’s trillion-dollar valuation with self-driving hype at the expense of human lives,” said the plaintiffs’ attorney Brett Schreiber in a statement shared with CBS News.

The plaintiffs in the case originally asked for $345 million in damages during closing arguments on Thursday.

During the trial, lawyers for the plaintiffs alleged that Tesla either hid or lost key evidence after a forensic data expert was able to recover data from the accident that Tesla said had been deleted.

Tesla disputes ruling and will appeal

“Today’s verdict is wrong, and only works to set back automotive safety and jeopardize Tesla’s and the entire industry’s efforts to develop and implement life-saving technology,” Tesla said in a statement to CBS MoneyWatch. “This was never about Autopilot; it was a fiction concocted by plaintiffs’ lawyers blaming the car when the driver — from day one — admitted and accepted responsibility.”

Tesla also said it plans to appeal the decision.

The case was a big test for the electric vehicle maker, which has been under scrutiny over the safety of its cars. Similar cases have been brought against Tesla, although many have been dismissed.

“This will open the floodgates,” said Miguel Custodio, a car crash lawyer not involved in the Tesla case. “It will embolden a lot of people to come to court.”

Arkansas officials reveal new details about Devil’s Den murders of husband and wife

Trump says nuclear subs to be positioned after former Russian president’s remark

Trump says he’s ordered the firing of U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics commissioner

You Might Also Like

Fed officials take cautious view on US markets amid downgrade

Innodata Stock Surges 16% After BWS Financial Names It a Top AI Pick for 2026—Here’s Why Investors Should Pay Attention

I’m a Real Estate Agent: 6 Metro Areas at Huge Risk of a Housing Market Crash in 2025

Skip the grind: 7 side hustles for people who hate side hustles

What your net worth statement is telling you

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Kim Kardashian Once Wore a Pastel Version of Belly’s Wedding Dress on ‘The Summer I Turned Pretty’ Kim Kardashian Once Wore a Pastel Version of Belly’s Wedding Dress on ‘The Summer I Turned Pretty’
Next Article Cincinnati Bengals and Hamilton County finalize new lease, 0M deal to renovate Paycor Stadium Cincinnati Bengals and Hamilton County finalize new lease, $470M deal to renovate Paycor Stadium

Latest News

Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Matt O’Riley Transfer Saga: Tottenham Joins Race with Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
The Bowen Chase: Why Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man Utd Are Circling West Ham’s Star Amid Relegation Fear
Sports May 20, 2026
Tottenham Joins High-Stakes Race for Brighton’s Breakout Midfielder Matt O’Riley
Guardiola’s Succession Decree: Why Enzo Maresca is Manchester City’s Anointed Heir
Sports May 20, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.