onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Reading: Pope Francis leaves hospital after 5-week hospital stay
Share
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
Search
  • News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Life
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2025 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.
News

Pope Francis leaves hospital after 5-week hospital stay

Last updated: March 23, 2025 7:41 am
OnlyTrustedInfo.com
Share
4 Min Read
Pope Francis leaves hospital after 5-week hospital stay
SHARE

Pope Francis waved to hundreds of people gathered outside Rome’s Gemelli hospital on Sunday as the pontiff left the hospital after surviving a life-threatening bout of pneumonia.

In his first public appearance in five weeks, he 88-year-old pope said “Thank you, everyone,” as he gave a thumbs up and acknowledged the crowd after he was wheeled out onto a hospital balcony overlooking the main entry of the building.

Chants of “Viva il papa!” and “Papa Francesco” erupted from the crowd.

ITALY-VATICAN-POPE-HEALTH

Pope Francis waves from a window of the Gemelli hospital before to be discharge after a five weeks hospitalization for pneumonia, in Rome on March 23, 2025.

FILIPPO MONTEFORTE/AFP via Getty Images


His appearance came minutes before a motorcade carrying Francis wound its way through light Rome traffic Sunday morning en route to the Vatican. He will then begin two months of rest and convalescence as he continues his rehabilitation at home.

TPope Francis waves as he leaves the Gemelli hospital after a five weeks hospitalization for pneumonia, in Rome on March 23, 2025.

TIZIANA FABI/AFP via Getty Images


The Argentine pope, who has chronic lung disease and had part of one lung removed as a young man, was admitted to the hospital on Feb. 14 after a bout of bronchitis made it difficult for him to speak. Doctors at the Gemelli Hospital in Rome soon diagnosed Francis with double pneumonia.

The first three weeks of his hospitalization were marked by a rollercoaster of setbacks, including respiratory crises, mild kidney failure and a severe coughing fit, which forced doctors to put Francis on a mechanical ventilation mask.

“During his hospitalization, he presented two critical episodes during which the Holy Father’s life was in danger,” Gemelli medical director Dr. Sergio Alfieri said on Saturday evening. “He subsequently made slow but progressive improvements.”

Alfieri said Francis will continue medication “for a long time and observe at least two months of rest” after his discharge.

“At the Vatican, we have prepared the necessary assistance and we are ready to have him back at Santa Marta,” said Dr. Luigi Carbone, the pope’s personal doctor, adding, “We hope that within a brief period, he can go back to his normal activity.”

Though out of public view for weeks, the pope shared a recorded message in early March thanking people for their prayers for his recovery. The message – which highlighted Francis’ weak and labored voice – was played in St. Peter’s Square for the faithful gathered for a nightly recitation of the rosary prayer. The Vatican also released a photo of the pope at prayer.

During his hospital stay, the church celebrated the 12th anniversary of Francis’ papacy with a Mass in his honor.

More from CBS News

Lucia Suarez Sang

Lucia Suarez Sang is an associate managing editor at CBSNews.com. Previously, Lucia was the director of digital content at FOX61 News in Connecticut and has previously written for outlets including FoxNews.com, Fox News Latino and the Rutland Herald.

You Might Also Like

Missing sailor Angelina Resendiz found dead; another sailor detained

South Carolina lawmakers won’t get paid while justices determine whether their raise was legal

Trump poised to extend TikTok ban deadline – for third time – as US, China meet for trade talks: source

Trump will only meet with Putin if Russian president also meets with Volodymyr Zelensky

Judge rules Trump administration can’t require states to help on immigration to get transport money

Share This Article
Facebook X Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Lewis Hamilton, Charles Leclerc disqualified from Chinese GP after Ferrari cars fail post-race technical checks | F1 News Lewis Hamilton, Charles Leclerc disqualified from Chinese GP after Ferrari cars fail post-race technical checks | F1 News
Next Article Stop Eating These 7 Foods and Start Losing Weight Stop Eating These 7 Foods and Start Losing Weight

Latest News

Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Cameron Brink’s All-White Statement: Fashion Meets a Full-Strength Return for the Sparks
Sports May 11, 2026
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Binghamton’s Historic Rally Sets Up David vs. Goliath Showdown with Oklahoma
Sports May 11, 2026
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
SEC Dominance: Alabama Claims No. 1 Seed as Conference Floods NCAA Softball Bracket
Sports May 11, 2026
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Frustration Boils Over: Wembanyama’s Ejection Alters Spurs’ Trajectory
Sports May 11, 2026
//
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Privacy Policy
onlyTrustedInfo.comonlyTrustedInfo.com
© 2026 OnlyTrustedInfo.com . All Rights Reserved.